101 in 1001 days

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Goal #5 Unhappy ending

Goal #5 Rehome our troublesome dog

He's rehomed - after a stint in the neighbor's chicken house - that was the last time he got off his tie-out. He is currently "rehomed" out in the orchard under a tree. Sorry puppy, that wasn't quite what I had in mind.

The good news? It's quieter, less stressful and no more guilt or dead chickens. Ok, still some guilt... but it's for the better.

2 comments:

  1. I can't express how angry this item made me. How HORRIBLE!

    "troublesome" -- did you ever attempt to train him??

    I hope to God you never own another animal again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. I suppose I should write more details for those who don't know everything we went through with this poor pup. He was abused from the start, I took him from the original owner because I felt bad for him and he was difficult to work with the entire time. It just got worse. He was an unusual dog - I'd never worked with one that had NOTHING that worked for incentive. He didn't like treats, he liked being praised but once you let go of him he would just take off and we had to hunt for hours in the brush to find him. It wasn't until he started getting viciously physical with people, especially small children, that I really wondered if he could be helped.

    Lots of people don't understand that when you have a dog that lives on a farm out in the country, if your dog kills livestock - your dog gets put down. It is something the county gets involved with, it's also something that your neighbors do FOR you if you don't see fit to turn your animal over to animal control so they can euthanize it after they kill repeatedly.

    I'm sorry if this post angered anyone - truly I am. I'm still sad over these events, and how they turned out. I have a broken finger that this dog gave me to remind me every day to make sure our animals are loved and that abused animals don't belong here no matter how sorry I feel for them. My kids and other people's children will always be more important than an animal. Period. The house full of dead chickens is forgivable - if it were my own chickens. My neighbors income depended on her chickens.

    ReplyDelete